SUMMARY: Cook - Seasonal/On Call
Under general supervision, prepares, seasons, and cooks a wide variety of meats, vegetables, soups, breakfast dishes, and other food items.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Receives food ingredients and supplies from main kitchen and pantry as required for daily operations.
2. Reviews production schedule to determine food requirements including variety and quantity of food for preparation and to assemble supplies and equipment needed for daily cooking activities.
3. Seasons and prepares a wide variety of foods such as vegetables, fruits, meats, soups, salads, and cereals in accordance with prescribed recipes.
4. Slices, grinds, and cooks meats and vegetables using a full range of cooking methods; Tests foods being cooked for quality.
5. Carves and displays meats, vegetables, fruits, and salads; replenishes service lines as necessary.
6. Prepares and bakes simple pastries and rolls.
7. Completes production sheets and other records as required.
8. Maintains clean work areas, utensils, and equipment.
9. Caters special events as required.
10. Attends to day-to-day problems and needs concerning equipment and food supplies; detects and ensures disposition of spoiled or unattractive food, defective supplies/equipment, and/or other unusual conditions.
11. May be required to prepare special diets according to prescribed standards.
12. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
High school diploma or GED required.
Ability to obtain Food Handler's Certificate, where applicable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Organizing and coordinating skills.
• Ability to read and write.
• Skill in cooking and preparing a variety of foods.
• Ability to prepare and bake a variety of pastries, rolls and/or other baked goods.
• Ability to safely use cleaning equipment and supplies.
• Knowledge of food preparation and presentation methods, techniques, and quality standards.
• Ability to accept receipt of goods and supplies.
• Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
Position requires: a) Preparing, seasoning and cooking a wide variety of meats, vegetables, soups, breakfasts, and other items; b) displaying foods, and replenishing service lines as necessary; c) reviewing and completing production sheets; d) detecting disposition of spoiled food and/or other unusual conditions; and e) ability to obtain Oregon Food Handler's Certificate.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
• Must possess Drivers Licence
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
• Work involves moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
• Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of average-weight objects up to 25 pounds or standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
• Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.